Mr Brian Weir
Tourism program, School of Management
Highest Qualification – completing a PhD
HDR Completions - 0
My research focus is in sustainable development, particularly focused on climate change adaptation, in the tourism industry and especially with regard to the Australian Capital Region. My interest is how businesses, particularly in the tourism industry identify, analyse, strategise and develop responses to climate change. I am also interested in regional development more broadly, especially in the ACR.
I explore these issues partly as an element of my PhD work on policy responses to climate change in the tourism industry, partly through part time employment in the Tourism Program, and also through my research work with Canberra Urban and Regional Futures. These build on previous careers in ecophysiology at ANU and CSIRO, and policy and advising in the ACT Government on economic development, tourism and governance.
Recent activity in these areas resulted in co-authored publications including Climate Adaptation Sector Review Informing the Future Direction for the ACT and Region (CURF, 2014); Coastal Urban Climate Futures in South East Australia: from Wollongong to Lakes Entrance (National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility, 2013); A Scoping study for a knowledge portal for the Australian Capital Region (CURF, 2012); and Connecting leading research and practice for a sustainable Australian Capital Region (CURF, 2015).
- Coastal Urban Climate Futures in South East Australia: from Wollongong to Lakes Entrance. National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility, Sydney NSW: Category 1. 2012; value ~$250k. Result:
- Norman B, Capon T, Maher B, Steffen B, Webb B, Woodroffe C, Rogers C, Lavis J, Sinclair H, Weir B, Tanton R & Vidyatama Y (2013) Coastal Urban Climate Futures in South East Australia: from Wollongong to Lakes Entrance. National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility, Sydney NSW;
- Longitudinal study of visitation to Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve. ACT Government; 1999; value ~$50k. Result – research conference papser:
- Weir, B, Baxter, R, Civil, K and Tobler E (1999) Protected area managers as entrepreneurs: Developing Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve. Paper presented to The Ecotourism Association of Australia National Conference 1999, Kingfisher Bay, Queensland.
- Dale N & Weir B (2016) OLT learning outcomes and the tourism skills gap: A case study Research paper presented at CAUTHE Conference, Sydney Feb 2016
- Weir B & Fogarty J (2016) Sustainable tourism – still an emerging issue for the tourism industry? Refereed research paper presented at CAUTHE Conference, Sydney Feb 2016
- Weir B, Dale N & Deery M (2015) The monster under the bed? Insights from a comparison of on line and face to face modes of teaching a problem-based undergraduate tourism unit. Refereed research paper presented at CAUTHE Conference, Kirra Beach, Feb 2015
- Norman B, Webb R, Steffen W, O'Donnell T, Sloan T, Weir B and Williams J (2014) Leading Climate Change Adaptation Principles for the ACT: Background Paper for an ACT Climate Change Adaptation Strategy. Refereed Research Paper. Canberra Urban & Regional Futures, Canberra