Dr Barbara Voss
School of Accounting and Finance
Highest Qualification – PhD
HDR Completions - 0
Phone No.: +61 (0) 2 6201 5794
My principal research concern is equity within the politics of businesses. My research discusses the inter-related aspects of accounting, politics, regulation and discourses. My work is multidisciplinary and involves how discourses are used, interpreted and applied by business. Traditionally, with respect environmental, social and inclusion discourses, businesses tend to treat these issues as a form of ‘return on investment’ for business to engage with these discourses, they do so, but the nature of the engagement is subject to challenge. My research investigates the politics of businesses within public and private sector contexts at methodological, technical and political levels. My research is informed by post-structural theory including Laclau and Mouffe, Gramsci, Derrida, Butler, Baudrillard, Foucault, Žižek and I have a strong interest in feminist and post-colonial theories.
My current work is divided into three projects: a) corporate social responsibility and sustainability – involving a deeper understanding of the meanings of sustainability and the politics of sustainability for business and its appropriation of knowledge. In some extent, this project expands the implications of the technologies of governance and discusses issues such as corruption, fraud, political campaigns and marketing with a special focus on Brazil; b) financial accounting and regulation – including discussing the influence of neoliberal and post-colonial policies on financial accounting standards and the impacts on businesses and societies; c) diversity – including understanding initiatives and politics concerning diversity in the corporate space, including issues of sexuality, gender and identity. All projects endeavour to uncover the role of accounting through multi-spheres and multi-voice.
- Voss, B. L., Carter, D., & Salotti, B. (2017). Hegemonies, politics and the Brazilian academy in social and environmental accounting: A post-structural note. Advances in Environmental Accounting and Management, 6, pp. 13-68. doi: 10.1108/S1479-359820160000006001(Scopus-listed)
- Voss, B. L. & Carter, D., (2016). A discussion of the ideologies of privileging business on social and environmental accounting. A-CSEAR 2016-Proceedings of the 15th Australasian Centre on Social and Environmental Accounting Research Conference: A-CSEAR 2016, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia.
- Voss, B. L. (2015). Article review: Corporate accountability and human rights disclosures: A case study of Barrick Gold Mine in Tanzania. Social and Environmental Accountability Journal, 35(2), 127-128. doi:10.1080/0969160X.2015.1068566 (Scopus-listed)
- Voss, B. L., Pfitscher, E. D., da Rosa, F. S., & Ribeiro, M. (2013). Solid waste environmental disclosures of public companies in Brazil of environmentally sensitive industries. Revista de Contabilidade & Financas, 24(62), 125-141. (Scopus-listed)
- Social and environmental accounting
- Secondary data analysis
- Discourse analysis,
- Environmental disclosure,
- Discourse theory
- Political philosophies
- Diversity in the workplace