Print this page

Services for Students

Skin Cancer

If you notice any changes to your skin that concern you, make an appointment with one of the doctors at the University of Canberra Medical & Counselling Centre.

Things to look out for include:

  • A sore that does not heal
  • Spread of pigment from the border of a spot to surrounding skin
  • Redness or a new swelling beyond the border
  • Change in sensation - itchiness, tenderness, or pain
  • Change in the surface of a mole - scaliness, oozing, bleeding, or the appearance of a bump or nodule

Find out more about the UV Index and when to protect your skin from the Cancer Council.

Not all skin changes are caused by skin cancer. Your doctor will investigate your skin changes to determine a cause and appropriate management.

Quick Health Inventory

  • Are you getting enough sleep?
  • Are you getting at least 30 minutes of physical exercise on at least 3 - 4 days of the week?
  • Do you get enough sunlight for Vitamin D production but not too much because sunburn increases the risk of melanoma?
  • Are you eating a variety of foods from the five main foods groups?:
    • Bread, cereals, rice, pasta, noodles
    • Vegetables, legumes
    • Fresh fruit
    • Milk, yoghurt, cheese
    • Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, nuts, legumes.
  • Are you getting enough Iron, B12 and Folate in your diet? If you are tired, consult your doctor for a blood test to exclude other causes and determine appropriate supplementation if needed. [People with a family history of haemochromatosis should have a blood test for the gene and should not take vitamins with iron]

Drinking and Smoking

Do you know how much alcohol you are consuming in a week? Follow this link, to ReachOut.Com, for information on safe drinking, binge drinking, drink spiking, staying safe at parties and more.

You can also take the survey at THRIVE to see if you are drinking safely.

There are many support services in the community to help with smoking cessation. You can start with a visit to the UC Medical & Counselling Centre and talk to one of the doctors, nurses or counsellors about how we can help you to quit.

And don't forget that the UC has a Tobacco on Campus Policy

Stress and Mental Health

Many of us are ill equipped to cope with the thoughts, feeling and behaviours associated with stress. Many people try to ignore or avoid the experiences, which in time only makes matters worse.
Those who cope well with stress usually demonstrate the following:

  • Internal control (able to respond to stress appropriately and turn difficulties into challenges);
  • Social Support (have friends, family or a community they can lean on for support and guidance);
  • Anchors (have personal beliefs and values, routines, meaningful things or places that support them to cope with stress);
  • Physical care (attend to their physical needs i.e. sleep exercise, nutrition);
  • Involvement (participate with a group or community, have a sense of belonging );
  • Interpretation of events (have a positive outlook, see themselves as competent and able to effectively influence a situation);
  • Reactions to stress (are constructive).

A visit to our doctors or counsellors can assist with ways of dealing with stress and other mental difficulties. Find more information and tips on stress and mental health here.

Emergency information

Ambulance (Life threatening emergencies only) Phone: 000
Accident and Emergency - Calvary Hospital (Northside) Phone: 6201 6111
Accident and Emergency - Canberra Hospital (Southside)Phone: 6244 2611
CALMS - Canberra After-hours Locum Medical ServicePhone: 1300 422 567
Lifeline (Counselling service)Phone: 13 11 14
After-hours GP Helpline - (Healthdirect Australia)Phone: 1800 022 222
Mental Health Crisis TeamPhone: 1800 629 354
University of Canberra Crisis LinePhone: 1300 271 790
Text:     0488 884 227

If you feel unwell make an appointment with one of our doctors by calling 6201 2351, 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. A range of medical and counselling services are available to all UC students. For more information download our practice information sheet.

If you require a medical certificate to cover university work or exams, please remember:

The final decision in relation to any request resides with appointed officers of the university in accordance with university guidelines and procedures. Documentation from the Medical and Counselling Centre does not guarantee that your request will be granted.

Also remember to check out our Useful Tips section for information on dealing with stress and access to a range of university services.

Disclaimer: The above information is for information purposes only, and is not designed to replace medical or counselling services. If you need further assistance or information, please contact the University Medical and Counselling Service on (02) 6201 2351.

Vaccination is a highly effective population health intervention. The Australian Government provides funded vaccines against 17 diseases to eligible people through the National Immunisation Program. Follow the link below, to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare website, to find out more information about these diseases: Vaccine preventable diseases

We provide vaccinations for:

  • Students
  • Children
  • Travel

Immunisations for Faculty of Health Students

All students, including those enrolled in the courses mentioned below, need to see a Doctor at the University of Canberra Medical & Counselling Centre, to have their immunisation records completed.

  • Diagnostic Pathology/Medical Science,
  • Exercise Physiology and Rehabilitation,
  • Health Sciences,
  • Medical Imaging,
  • Midwifery, Nursing,
  • Nutrition and Dietetics,
  • Occupational Therapy,
  • Pharmacy, and
  • Physiotherapy.

Health workers are exposed to infectious diseases as part of their work their routine vaccinations need to be up to date and they MUST be vaccinated for Hepatitis B and have serological proof that the immunisation has taken. Students enrolled in the Faculty of Health are required to provide documentary proof (including date, batch number and signature of immunisation provider), and serology (where appropriate) that they have been vaccinated for the following diseases:

  • Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis (within the last 10 years),
  • Hepatitis B (3 doses or 2 age appropriate doses) with proof of positive Hepatitis B antibodies indicating protection post vaccination,
  • MMR - Measles, Mumps and Rubella. (Serology result or documented evidence of having had 2 doses of MMR - including dates and batch numbers),
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox) - Serological evidence or documented evidence of having 2 doses including dates and batch numbers,
  • and, we also strongly advise the Influenza vaccination (when it becomes available during Autumn). The flu vaccination is free to all UC staff & students.
  • Covid (Pfizer) vaccinations (Non Medicare card holders are able to access COVID vaccinations through UC Capital Chemist in Building 28).

This information will need to be recorded on the NSW  immunisation form outlining mandatory vaccinations.

General Precautions

Before having any vaccination, refer to prescribing information, particularly to contra-indications and warnings, and for further details you should see the University Medical Centre.

Before having any immunisations, tell the doctor if you

  • are pregnant or may become so
  • are allergic to anything
  • have an immune problem (eg. if you are taking steroids or cancer drugs, have leukaemia or HIV/AIDS)
  • have had any serious illnesses or operations.

Routine Childhood Immunisation Schedule

Current routine childhood immunisation schedule includes:

  • four doses of Diphtheria/Tetanus/Whooping cough and Polio vaccine;
  • a Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis booster at age 15;
  • a MMR immunisation at 12 months and 4 years;
  • a Hepatitis B immunizations at birth and 2, 4 and 6 months;
  • Pneumococcus at 2, 4 and 6 months;
  • Haemophilus Influenzae and 2, 4, and 6 months;
  • Varicella at 18 months;
  • Meningitis (C strain) at 12 months; and
  • Rotavirus at 2 and 4 months of age.

See the latest Fact Sheet for Parents

Travelling overseas - what vaccinations are necessary?

If you are planning to travel, start thinking about recommended immunisations aimed at disease prevention specific to the areas you are intending to visit. Some schedules require a course of vaccinations over a period of weeks to months, so it is important to seek advice early, and not leave it to the the day before departure to organise your immunisations.

UC students and staff can make an appointment at the University Medical Centre for travel vaccinations. Vaccinations for travel are available from the University Medical Centre at very competitive rates for all UC students.

Smartraveller and Travel Doctor are some of the good fact-based websites with plenty of information regarding vaccines and general travel health and safety.

Whilst websites can be very useful, it is still essential to seek advice from either the University Medical Centre, your usual GP, or a travel medicine clinic so that you have the most up-to-date information on how to keep healthily while travelling abroad.

Vaccinations are not the only way to protect yourself from disease - careful attention also needs to be paid to the selection of food and drinks - "WASH IT, PEEL IT, OR COOK IT" is a useful rule of thumb.

When travelling to areas with Malaria and other mosquito borne diseases, you need to take precautions to protect yourself from being bitten. Such measures include selection of clothing (type and colour), to be worn and when (day or night), use of mosquito repellents and barriers (eg. nets) and avoidance of perfumes/aftershaves etc.

Disclaimer: The above information is for information purposes only, and is not designed to replace medical or counselling services. If you need further assistance or information, please contact the University Medical and Counselling Service on (02) 6201 2351.

Counsellors and medical staff are available for education sessions on health and wellbeing and mental health in residences.

Each year the centre offers influenza vaccination to students on Ressies in March or April in preparation for the winter.

See our counselling section for more information.

Disclaimer: The above information is for information purposes only, and is not designed to replace medical or counselling services. If you need further assistance or information, please contact the University Medical and Counselling Service on (02) 6201 2351.


Medical services for Australian UC students are bulk-billed through Medicare.

The Medical Centre has an arrangement with a number of pathology and radiology centres, allowing students to be bulk-billed for many services. Fees for other services are available on request. Please ask at the Reception Desk for more information on fees.

International Students, in most instances will be charged the Medicare bulk-billing rate. For holders of OSHC Allianz Care Australia or OSHC Medibank Private, medical services will be billed directly to the insurance provider. *Holders of OSHC insurance from other providers, will need to pay for their medical services at the time of consultation, and then claim their rebate from their insurer.

CONSULT TYPES*Medicare Bulk - Billing rates
Level A$18.20
Level B$39.75
Level C$76.95
Level D$113.30

Please note that missed appointments will incur a $25 fee.

It is essential that all Australian students have a Medicare number. UC students are bulk-billed for medical consultations. Australian students not dependent on their parents and earning low incomes may be eligible for a Health Care Card. This card also entitles the holder to cheaper Government subsidised medicines. More information and application forms for Health Care Cards are available from Centrelink.

All international students are required to have Overseas Student Health Insurance - OSHC (for example, OSHC Allianz Care Australia, or OSHC Medibank Private). Proof of currency of insurance (membership card) must be presented at every visit to the Medical and Counselling Centre.

A range of medical and counselling services are available to UC students. For more information download our practice information sheet

Disclaimer: The above information is for information purposes only, and is not designed to replace medical or counselling services. If you need further assistance or information, please contact the University Medical and Counselling Service on (02) 6201 2351.


The UC Medical Centre has General Practitioners and and a midwife that are available to see patients regarding pregnancy.

The Tresillian QEII Family Centre provides a residential program for families with young children aged between 0 and 3, who experience postnatal and early childhood difficulties.

POSSUMS for parents with babies offers resources and consultations for help with breastfeedingsleep, babies who cry a lot, and maternal mood. Are you concerned that your baby has gas, colic, intolerances, reflux, or oral ties? POSSUMS can offer you gentle & highly effective help.

Mind the Bump is a free Mindfulness Meditation App to help individuals and couples support their mental and emotional wellbeing in preparation for having a baby and becoming a new parent. Mind the Bump provides tailored exercises to support mental and emotional wellbeing from day one of pregnancy through to 24 months after birth.

Information for pregnancy and delivery of baby

NB!! No alcohol and no smoking!The best advice is that pregnant women, or women trying to conceive, should avoid drinking alcohol. If you smoke, you should also give up. Discuss this with your doctor to help you quit.

Other things to do

  • Start pregnancy vitamins e.g. Nature’s Own Pregnancy Platinum, Elevit, Blackmores Pregnancy Gold.
  • Have blood tests.
  • Think about Downs Syndrome screening at 12 weeks – discuss this with your doctor for further information.
Maternity Options

Canberra Maternity Options is a single access point for all public maternity care in the ACT.


A quick reference - For more information go to NSW Food Authority Website: Pregnancy

Mercury in fish: It is suggested that pregnant women eat 2 – 3 serves of fish every week for the good health of themselves and their developing baby. Caution should be exercised when choosing the type of fish, you will eat. There are a few types of fish that need to be limited because they contain high levels of mercury, which is dangerous for the developing foetus.

Pregnant women should:

  • Limit to one serve (150g) per fortnight: billfish (swordfish, broadbill and marlin) and shark (flake), with no other fish eaten in that fortnight.
  • Limit to one serve (150g) per week: orange roughy (deep sea perch) or catfish, with no other fish eaten that week.

Women should not be worried if they’ve had the odd meal of fish with high levels of mercury. It is only a potential problem when that type of fish is eaten regularly, which causes a build-up of mercury in the mother’s blood.

Listeria infection: Listeria infection, or listeriosis, is an illness usually caused by eating food contaminated with bacteria known as Listeria monocytogenes. Healthy people may experience no ill-effects from listeria infection at all, but the risks are substantial for pregnant women. The greatest danger is to the unborn baby, with increased risk of miscarriage, still birth or premature labour. A listeria infection is easily treated with antibiotics, but prevention is best.
Some foods are more prone to contamination with listeria than others.

Exclude these foods from your diet if you are pregnant:

  • Soft cheeses like brie, camembert and ricotta – these are safe if served cooked and hot.
  • Precooked or pre-prepared cold foods that will not be reheated – for example, pre-prepared salads, pate, quiches and delicatessen meats like ham and salami.
  • Raw seafood such as oysters and sashimi or smoked seafood such as salmon (canned varieties are safe)
  • Unpasteurised foods.
  • Soft serve ice cream.

The organism that causes listeria infection is destroyed by heat, so properly cooked foods are not a risk.

Salmonella: Salmonella is a cause of food poisoning that can trigger miscarriage. The most likely sources of salmonella are raw eggs and undercooked meat and poultry.

For more information, go to Canberra Hospital maternity services.

Breast milk is best for your baby: Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA): 1800 686 268

Helpful Websites

Useful APPS

Below is a list of our favourite apps that you can download straight to your smartphone:

  • BabyBump Pregnancy Pro, iOS and Android, FREE.
  • My Pregnancy & Baby Today, iOS and Android, FREE.
  • What to Expect Pregnancy Tracker, iOS and Android, FREE.
  • Glow Nurture- Pregnancy Tracker, Due Date Calculator, iOS and Android, Free.

Breastfeeding APPS

  • Feed Safe APP, FREE
  • Baby Connect

For physical or mental health support: UC Medical & Counselling Centre

For an on campus General Practitioner, Psychologist or Counsellor please phone 6201 2351 for an on-campus or telehealth appointment, or book an appointment using the HotDoc app.

For long term physical and/or mental health issues that may or do affect your study: Inclusion UC

For support and consideration of reasonable adjustments relevant to learning or health challenges that may affect your university performance please contact

For academic and skills development: Study Skills

For grade appeals and other strategies for resolution: Student Grievances

For social media connections (Nursing):
Nursing at UC Facebook page
The UCNS (UC Nursing Society) Facebook page

For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to connect with academic and pastoral support programs visit the Ngunnawal Centre page and drop in when you are on campus

For international students needing support regarding your studies please contact International Student Support Services and the International Nursing Convenor on

For new students wanting to find a peer mentor or existing students wanting to become a peer mentor, find out about the UC mentoring program

For students who identify as part of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer Community (LGBTQI+) who are seeking help and support go to the UC ALLY group.

For individualised study plans contact

For support related to financial stress please contact

For general administration matters i.e. transcripts, graduation queries, enrolment issues please contact