Print this page

Visas & Insurance

Australian Student Visas

PLEASE NOTE: You must have your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from the University of Canberra before you can apply for your visa. See the application process chart for more details.

Most Study Abroad and Exchange students apply for an Australian Student Visa (subclass 500). It is extremely important to answer all questions carefully, accurately and ensure your application is complete with all required documents (including proof of your visa length OSHC cover) before submitting as any incomplete applications will be denied without a refund. 

Students can not board a flight to Australia without a valid Australian visa and students must not overstay their visa. Please read through all the conditions in your visa letter (usually sent via e-mail). It is advisable to have a copy of the visa letter during all travel.

UC Global Learning is not permitted to give visa advice.

You can check your visa requirements as stipulated by the Australian immigration department:

  • Go to the Document Checklist Tool
  • Enter country of passport and Education provider ( University of Canberra)
  • Click Display evidence- You must submit all the documents that appear in the document evidence list. Failure to do so may result in your student visa being refused.

Do you have your COE? Ready to apply for your visa? APPLY NOW!

You may wish to consult with your nearest Australian Embassy or High Commission.

For more information about Australian Student Visa requirements, please visit our International Student Support Service website.

Travel Insurance

OSHC does not cover travel to and from Australia or anything non-medical related, so you may wish to take out travel insurance to cover such things as accidents, lost luggage or trip cancellation. If you desire coverage for non-medial incidents, you will need to take out a separate insurance policy.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

  • Only holders of an Australian Student Visa can access OSHC.

The Department of Home Affairs (DOH) requires every international student coming to Australia to maintain Australian sourced student medical and hospital insurance called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their stay in Australia on an Australian Student Visa. Exemptions are only given only to citizens of Sweden, Norway and Belgium which have direct reciprocal relationships with the Australian Government. If you are a student from one of the above countries, please visit the Australian Government website to ensure your eligibility. All other international students must have OSHC.

OSHC is organised by the University of Canberra on your behalf through Allianz Global Assistance before you arrive in Australia. After you arrive in Australia, you should order your OSHC card to be sent to your Australian mailing address by logging into your account. Your policy number is your University of Canberra student ID number with UC at the end (e.g. 3001111UC). 

OSHC is a condition of Australian Student Visas issued by the DIAC. OSHC does not cover all medical services (such as pre-existing conditions, dental work or physiotherapy), so you may wish to enrol with a private health insurance organisation that offers services not covered by OSHC.

While Exchange students do not pay tuition fees they must still pay the Overseas Student Health Cover separately.

For more details on why you need OSHC, what it covers or other frequently asked questions please visit the Allianz Global Assistance website.

For information about how to speak with an OSHC representative at UC, please visit our International Student Support Service website.