What is HECS-HELP?
Note: The HECS-HELP 10% discount (not the HECS-HELP loan) will be removed from 1 January 2017.
Until that date, the current arrangements still apply for units of study that have a census date on or before 31 December 2016.
HECS-HELP is an Australian Government scheme that gives undergraduate students the option to defer paying their university fees until they start earning a taxable income.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for HECS-HELP you must:
- be a Commonwealth (Government subsidised) Supported Student (CSS)
- be an Australian citizen or hold a Permanent Humanitarian visa
- enrol in a unit of study on or before the census date
- submit a valid Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form during enrolment on or before the census date.
Students who are required to pay their fees upfront are not eligible for HECS-HELP. This includes:
- permanent visa holders (other than Permanent Humanitarian visas)
- New Zealand citizens.
New students need to:
- submit a Request for Commonwealth Assistance and HECS-HELP application form during enrolment to the University by the end of Week 4 of the 1st teaching period of their enrolment.
- provide a Tax File Number (TFN) if you are planning to defer your pay.