If you are applying for the following courses:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Professional doctorate
- Master level course by research
Applications are made directly to the University via the HDR Application for Admission/Scholarship form:
Submit this form and supporting documents (see the Before you apply section below for information on supporting documents):
By email to:
By post to:
Locked Bag 1
CANBERRA, ACT, 2601
Applicants are encouraged to contact a faculty or research institute HDR representative to discuss your application and research proposal before applying.
Before you apply
UC offers a wide variety of courses, from pathway programs that help you gain entry to university, all the way to the highest-level research degrees.
Detailed information on all courses offered at UC can be found by searching our online course finder. This will guide you on the admission requirements, English language proficiency requirements and any additional information to help you with your decision.
Check the Admission tab on your course search for admission requirements for your chosen course.
A number of supporting documents must also be provided, including:
- a copy of your academic transcripts, including the key to transcript results and testamurs (please provide both the original language and the English translation from a certified translator)
- a research proposal that is no more than 2 pages long (BGL applicants see below)
- two (2) Research Degree Referees
- your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- names of potential supervisors
- proof of English Language Proficiency, either proof of tertiary study in English or Academic IELTS or TOEFL score (if you are an international student)
- certified passport/birth certificate.
Please ensure that all copies of your academic transcripts and testamurs are correctly certified, find out how to certify your documents (PDF, 13.52 KB)
Faculty of Business, Government and Law applicants are required to submit a research proposal using the BGL research proposal template, available from the Faculty of Business, Government and Law Application Process page.
Applications for research courses are accepted at any time throughout the year. However, applicants are asked to nominate their preferred commencement semester (and check scholarship application deadlines if relevant).
Candidates who are required to undertake coursework as part of their degree will usually commence at the beginning of semester one or semester two (see dates below). Candidates admitted directly to research can apply and commence at any time during the year.
Semester dates for coursework
Semester 1 Orientation Week
4 February 2019
Semester 1 Classes commence
11 February 2019
Semester 2 Orientation Week
29 July 2019
Semester 2 Classes commence
5 August 2019
Notes about research applications
- Research Scholarships are only available for Semester 1 commencement of each academic year.
- Please allow up to 18 weeks to receive your Letter of Offer, organisation of flights and accommodation.
- If you are an international student the Australian Diplomatic Mission in your home country can give you current and detailed information on visa procedures.
- If you are an international student and you require information on the nearest Australian Embassy/Consulate please visit Department of Home Affairs.