Gowning & University Academic Dress
Further information on gowning will be provided in early 2018
Academic dress for the University consists of a black cloth academic gown, black mortar board and a black hood lined with silk. The colour of the hood lining distinguishes the level of award.
- Diploma - Black hood with turquoise blue lining
- Degree of Bachelor (3 and 3.5 years) - Black hood with red lining
- Degree of Bachelor (4 years) - Black hood with maroon lining
- Degree of Bachelor (5 and 6 years) - Black hood with pale grey lining
- Standalone Honours Year – Black hood with maroon lining
- Graduate Certificate or Diploma - Black hood with gold lining
- Degree of Master - Royal Blue hood with horizon lining
- Doctor of Philosophy - Royal Blue gown with gold facings, a black bonnet and a royal blue hood with horizon lining
- Doctor of the University - Royal Blue gown with gold facings, a black bonnet and a royal blue hood with gold lining
Please note: Candidates who are being awarded a combined degree may only wear the hood lining colour for one of the single degrees being awarded. For example, a student receiving a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce would wear a 3 year hood while a student receiving a Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science would wear a 4 year hood. Students will not be permitted to wear the incorrect hood across stage, and the University takes no responsibility for students who choose to purchase their hoods from a third party.
If you are graduating from a Bachelor degree, it is customary to wear the tassel on the left hand side. If you have graduated previously and are graduating from a postgraduate degree, you can wear your tassel on the right hand side.