Print this page

Student Conduct

Students are expected to understand their rights and responsibilities as described in the University of Canberra's Student Charter. The University's Student Conduct Rules provide details of prohibited behaviour, whether academic or non-academic. 

If a student is accused of academic or non-academic misconduct (by a staff member, a student or another party) the University has processes for dealing with these matters. These processes give students the right to be heard and provide their view of matters if any accusation is made. Certain officers across the University are designated as 'prescribed authorities'. If a prescribed authority believes that there is evidence to suggest a student may have a case to answer, a Summary Inquiry will be called. Students receive written notification of a Summary Inquiry (with 15 business days' notice) and have the opportunity to present their case in person, by video link or teleconference, or in writing if they prefer. If it is in writing, the information must be sent to the prescribed authority not less than five business days before the Inquiry. Students may be accompanied to the Summary Inquiry by another person (not being a qualified lawyer acting in that capacity) who is a staff member or UC student.

Where allegations of serious misconduct are made, the alleged misconduct is referred to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academic who determines whether a Summary Inquiry will be held.

Students have the right to appeal the finding of a Summary Inquiry and this can be done in writing via email to or by post to the Secretary, Student Conduct Committee, University of Canberra, ACT 2601. If you are at the University's Bruce campus, you may also lodge your appeal in person at the Student Centre. Appeals against Summary Inquiry findings must be lodged within 20 business days of receipt of written notification of the outcome of the Summary Inquiry.

Students requiring further information or assistance in relation to the University's processes for misconduct should approach their nominated local contact for advice.

Students at the University's Bruce campus may contact the following student support services:

Students at the University's partner institutes should contact their local student support services in the first instance.

If a student is a victim of misconduct by another student (e.g. if they feel they have been harassed or bullied) they may make a written complaint to a prescribed authority (e.g. their Faculty Dean, Deputy Dean or Associate Dean Education). The prescribed authority will then determine whether a Summary Inquiry should be held. If a student feels that he or she has been discriminated against, bullied or harassed by a staff member, they may make a complaint under the terms of the Student Grievance Resolution Policy. Other support will depend on the nature of the matter but students are encouraged to contact their local student support services for advice if they feel they have suffered discrimination, bullying or harassment from either a staff member or a fellow student.

Student & Staff Login

Student Login Staff Login