Design Studio 5 (9978.3)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 Mr Tom JAMES (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 Mr Tom JAMES (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MR Alan PEGGIE (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 MR Alan PEGGIE (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (194053) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194054) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (190852) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (176382) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (165521) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165397) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149614) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This studio unit examines design as a process of articulation and refinement informed by theory, strategy and judgement. Design studios address social spaces and associated structures that provide education, leisure, convenience, rest, recuperation, indulgence and competition. Symbolism and meaning in design precedent, contextual and cultural parameters where environmental and social sustainability are investigated. Students respond to real clients, analyse complex program requirements, develop design briefs and formulate detailed schematic responses. Regulation and other statutory influences on design are introduced. Students undertake projects in a studio environment.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. develop design solutions that effectively integrate knowledge and design project conditions;
2. understand the client, contextual and cultural parameters including usage patterns and sustainability;
3. analyse and organise complex client briefs;
4. develop design strategies;
5. understand how regulations and other statutory processes influence design;
6. present graphic work to a standard that is suitable for public presentation; and
7. articulate and present design ideas coherently to a design jury.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
Up to 3 hours per week
Must pass (1) unit:
8970 Studio 4 or
8284 Design Studio 2.2 (Interior Architecture) or
8743 Design Studio 2.2 (Landscape Architecture) or
8328 Design Studio 2.2 (Industrial Design) or
9778 Design Studio 2.2 (Architecture) or
9977 Design Studio 4
8329 Design Studio 3.2 (Industrial Design)
8286 Design Studio 3.2 (Interior Architecture)
8267 Design Studio 3.2 (Landscape Architecture)
8971 Studio 5