Design Studio 4 (9977.3)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 MS Gay WILLIAMSON (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195437) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (190844) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (178451) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (178452) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164884) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (162528) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (162529) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This studio unit explores design as a process that draws on precedent, creativity, tectonics and environment. The unit includes understanding of the integration of theory, spatial concepts and planning, structure and systems, material and detail in formulating design responses. Projects are used to explore spatial sequence and transition, circulation and movement, site and context, scale, form and construction, art in public places. Sustainable design is studied and integrated into the studio projects. Ethics related to design is introduced. Students undertake projects in a studio environment working individually and in teams.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand critical spatial, environmental concepts and the value of site and context to design;
2. Communicate design solutions through visualisation, digital media, and prototypes/models;
3. Appreciate theory and precedent as design determinants;
4. Understand sustainable design and passive technologies;
5. Understand the integral relationship between design, structure and detail;
6. Exercise critical judgement in relation to their own and others' work;
7. Demonstrate high level communication and presentation skills; and
8. Demonstrate an awareness of ethics in design.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
- UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Up to 3 hours per week
9976 Design Studio 3
8970 Studio 4