Design Studio 4 (9977.3)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MS Gay WILLIAMSON (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 MS Gay WILLIAMSON (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195437) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (190844) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (178451) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (178452) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164884) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (162528) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (162529) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This studio unit explores design as a process that draws on precedent, creativity, tectonics and environment. The unit includes understanding of the integration of theory, spatial concepts and planning, structure and systems, material and detail in formulating design responses. Projects are used to explore spatial sequence and transition, circulation and movement, site and context, scale, form and construction, art in public places. Sustainable design is studied and integrated into the studio projects. Ethics related to design is introduced. Students undertake projects in a studio environment working individually and in teams.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand critical spatial, environmental concepts and the value of site and context to design;
2. Communicate design solutions through visualisation, digital media, and prototypes/models;
3. Appreciate theory and precedent as design determinants;
4. Understand sustainable design and passive technologies;
5. Understand the integral relationship between design, structure and detail;
6. Exercise critical judgement in relation to their own and others' work;
7. Demonstrate high level communication and presentation skills; and
8. Demonstrate an awareness of ethics in design.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
- UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Up to 3 hours per week
9976 Design Studio 3
8970 Studio 4