Secondary Mathematics PCK 1 (9968.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MR Jonathan ADAMS (Ph: +61 2 62015047 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186772) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182509) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165671) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (155436) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is designed to develop a pre-service teachers pedagogical content knowledge for Mathematics teaching. The key elements of pedagogy and planning for diverse learners are examined and applied to the teaching of Mathematics. Pre-service teachers will critically address how these elements can then be combined into effective classroom practice for addressing the requirements and philosophy of Mathematics.
This unit is the first of two units dealing with Secondary Mathematics PCK which include a professional experience placement. In this unit students will engage in a placement for 15 days in a Secondary School (10 days for Graduate Entry Students) providing the opportunity for pre-service teachers to demonstrate the ability to plan and teach for a sustained period of time consolidating their teaching skills.
On successful completion of this unit, students will have:
1. Acquired an understanding of key theoretical and pedagogical perspectives in the teaching of Mathematics from Years 7-12;
2. Planned and designed Mathematics lessons and units of work that may be suitable for the diverse social and cultural backgrounds and experiences of students;
3. Gained a familiarity with various Mathematics curriculum documents and support materials from the ACT and NSW in relation to syllabus/frameworks/lesson design/monitoring of learning outcomes;
4. Gained understandings and skills in developing student literacy and numeracy through Mathematics; and
5. Used and creatively integrated information and communication technologies (ICTs) to enhance student engagement and conceptual understanding of Mathematics.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2019
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2018
- Semester 1, 2019
3 hours face to face or equivalent, including any online component.
Must have passed 36 credit points including 9919 The Educational Workplace AND 10425 Curriculum - Planning, Assessing & Reporting.