Sociocultural Foundations For HPE In Schools (9916.2)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 DR John WILLIAMS (Ph: +61 2 62015261 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (200940) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193991) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186775) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182534) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165634) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149693) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is the first of six, and provides a strong foundation for the discipline-specific studies in Health and Physical Education. The evolution of the sociocultural approach is explored through history, philosophy, and sociology, and the role these sub-disciplines play in shaping and determining contemporary practices in Health and Physical Education. Students are introduced to the scientific fields entrenched in Health and Physical Education, such as physiology, nutrition, biomechanics and psychology. They develop an understanding of how this scientific content knowledge can be applied by teachers adopting the sociocultural approach to learning. Scientific knowledge is applied to skill acquisition and the implementation of learning through movement. This unit initiates the reflection of effective connections between discipline theory and practice in Health and Physical Education.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Examine the sociocultural approach and how it has evolved;
2. Examine the role the sub-disciplines of history, philosophy, and sociology, play in shaping and determining contemporary practices in health and physical education;
3. Understand the impact biophysical and behavioural science has had on HPE in schools, in particular through functional human anatomy, biomechanics, principles of exercise physiology, neurology, psychology, human growth and development; and
4. Understand how scientific knowledge can be successfully applied through the sociocultural approach to assist with skill acquisition and the implementation of 'learning through movement' in an inclusive and socially just manner.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
3 hours face to face per week.
Must have passed 24 credit points.
Must be enrolled in 324JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Health and Physical Education), OR 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education).