Secondary Science PCK 2 (9913.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MR Shyam BARR (Ph: +61 2 62012093 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 MR Shyam BARR (Ph: +61 2 62012093 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198405) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (189980) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (189937) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165994) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149763) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit builds on Secondary Science PCK 1. Pre-service teachers will consider the variety of assessment strategies appropriate for Science and the ways these should inform students, the teacher and parents. There is an increased focus to think critically about their own practice and to draw on a range of national and international perspectives on Science. Students are also expected to be able to design and conduct research to develop their understanding of Science education.
In this unit students will engage in a placement for 20 days in a Secondary School/College (15 days for Graduate Entry Students) during which time they will demonstrate the ability to plan and teach for a sustained period of time and consolidate the teaching skills addressed within the academic component of this unit. Undergraduate students who have completed a 10 day placement attached to Unit 10425 are only required to complete a 15 day placement in this unit.
Evidence of passing both components of LANTITE must be provided before this unit can be passed.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critically understand the principles of unit planning, the content of current curriculum and the pedagogy of Science;
2. Design and apply a variety of assessment strategies to evaluate diverse student learning and development in Science;
3. Actively participate in professional conversations about issues pertinent to Science education;
4. Develop an evolving philosophy for what Science teaching means; and
5. Develop as professionals that are knowledgeable, skillful, flexible and compassionate in their practice and who are guided by a sense of social and ethical responsibility.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2020
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Assessment A1: Teaching Clinic Activities and Reflections PLEASE NOTE: If you are a Beginning or Intermediate Placement student, then you are required to only complete the Assessment 'A' stream (i.e., A1, A2 and A3). If you are Final Placement student, then you are required to only complete the Assessment 'B' stream (i.e., B1, B2, B3 and B4) (40% )
- Assessment A2/B1: Critical Reflections on Becoming a Science teacher (A2 - 60% B1 - 30% )
- Assessment B2: Assessment for Graduate Teaching – Element 4: Expanding Practice (20% )
- Assessment B3: The Assessment for Graduate Teaching (AfGT) Elements 1, 2 & 3 (N.B. Satisfactory completion of Professional Experience is required to receive a pass in this unit) (50% )
- Assessment A3/B4: Professional Experience Placement (Satisfactory/not satisfactory Must be passed to receive a pass in this unit )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
Semester 2, 2019
- On-Campus Attendance is expected in Set Time Blocks (INTENSIVE)
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 2, 2020
3 hours face to face or equivalent including any online component.
Must have passed 36 credit points including 9912 Secondary Science PCK 1 AND 9919 The Educational Workplace AND 1025 Curriculum - Planning, Assessing & Reporting.