Secondary Science PCK 1 (9912.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MR Shyam BARR (Ph: +61 2 62012093 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193993) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186777) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182542) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165677) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149573) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is designed to develop a pre-service teachers pedagogical content knowledge for Science teaching. The key elements of pedagogy and planning for diverse learners are examined and applied to the teaching of Science. Pre-service teachers will critically address how these elements can then be combined into effective classroom practice for addressing the requirements and philosophy of Science.
This unit is the first of two units dealing with Secondary Science PCK which include a professional experience placement. In this unit students will engage in a placement for 15 days in a Secondary School (10 days for Graduate Entry Students) providing the opportunity for pre-service teachers to demonstrate the ability to plan and teach for a sustained period of time consolidating their teaching skills.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand key theoretical and pedagogical perspectives in the teaching of Science from Years 7-12;
2. Plan and design Science lessons and units of work that may be suitable for the diverse social and cultural backgrounds and experiences of students;
3. Demonstrate a familiarity with various Science curriculum documents and support materials from the ACT and NSW in relation to syllabus/frameworks/lesson design/monitoring of learning outcomes;
4. Understand and demonstrate skills in developing student literacy and numeracy through Science; and
5. Use and creatively integrate information and communication technologies (ICTs) to enhance student engagement and conceptual understanding of Science.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2020
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Assessment A1/B1: 360 Assessment (for all students undertaking PCK 1) (20% )
- Assessment A2: Teaching Clinic Activities and Reflections (for students undertaking a beginning or intermediate placement for PCK 1) (20% )
- Assessment A3: Planning, Teaching and Reflecting (for students undertaking a beginning or intermediate placement for PCK 1) (N.B. Satisfactory completion of Professional Experience is required to receive a pass in this unit) (60% )
- Assessment B2: Assessment for Graduate Teaching – Element 4: Expanding Practice (for students undertaking a final placement for PCK 1) (20% )
- Assessment B3: The Assessment for Graduate Teaching (AfGT) Elements 1, 2 & 3 (for students undertaking a final placement for PCK 1) (N.B. Satisfactory completion of Professional Experience is required to receive a pass in this unit) (60% )
- Professional Experience Placement (Satisfactory/not satisfactory (Must be passed to receive a pass in this unit) )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
- Semester 1, 2020
3 hours face to face or equivalent including any online component.
Must have passed 36 credit points including 9919 The Educational Workplace AND 10425 Curriculum - Planning, Assessing & Reporting.