Secondary English PCK 1 (9902.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 DR Duncan DRIVER (Ph: +61 2 62015584 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 MISS Emily HILLS (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186781) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182578) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165675) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149571) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is designed to develop a pre-service teachers pedagogical content knowledge for English teaching. The key elements of pedagogy and planning for diverse learners are examined and applied to the teaching of English. Pre-service teachers will critically address how these elements can then be combined into effective classroom practice for addressing the requirements and philosophy of English.
This unit is the first of two units dealing with Secondary English PCK which include a professional experience placement. In this unit students will engage in a placement for 15 days in a Secondary School (10 days for Graduate Entry Students) providing the opportunity for pre-service teachers to demonstrate the ability to plan and teach for a sustained period of time consolidating their teaching skills.
On successful completion the end of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand key theoretical and pedagogical perspectives in the teaching of English from Years 7-12;
2. Planned and designed English lessons and units of work that may be suitable for the diverse social and cultural backgrounds and experiences of students;
3. Demonstrate a familiarity with various English curriculum documents and support materials from the ACT and NSW in relation to syllabus/frameworks/lesson design/monitoring of learning outcomes;
4. Understand and demonstate skills in developing student literacy and numeracy through English; and
5. Use and creatively integrate information and communication technologies (ICTs) to enhance student engagement and conceptual understanding of English.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2019
Semester 1, 2018
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- English Curriculum Outcome Analysis for Teaching (60% )
- Quizzes (40% )
- Satisfactory completion of a 10/15 day Professional Experience, as evidenced by a satisfactory final report. Satisfactory completion of Professional Experience is required to receive a pass in this unit. (A satisfactory final Placement report must be submitted to receive a pass in this unit )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
3 hours face to face or equivalent including any online component.
Must have passed 36 credit points including 9919 The Educational Workplace AND 10425 Curriculum - Planning, Assessing & Reporting.