Philosophy of Education (9892.2)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 MR Michael WALSH (Ph: +61 2 62015490 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (200950) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194020) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186786) - View
- Winter Term, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182642) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182643) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (173848) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165672) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149448) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to the philosophy and history of education. Building upon the disciplinary basis of philosophy the unit explores philosophy as it relates to education. Additionally the unit positions philosophy within various historical contexts and uses historical thinking tools to engage with philosophical thinking tools. The unit introduces students to a wide range of philosophers and a wide range of philosophical schools of thought as they relate to education. In this unit students learn to think as a philosopher and apply this thinking to contemporary educational issues.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of key concepts in philosophy;
2. Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of key concepts in the philosophy of education;
3. Demonstrated capacity to critically analyse problems;
4. Develop sophisticated arguments using academic evidence; and
5. Communicate ideas effectively.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
Winter Term, 2018
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2018
1 hour lecture and 2 x 1 hour tutorials per week.
Must have passed 24 credit points unless enrolled in the Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Mathematics and Computing Technology Studies course.
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- 324JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 322JA Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM)
- 331JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Graduate Entry)
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 329JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Mathematics and Computing Technology Studies
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science