The Practice (PCK) of Teaching Humanities and Social Sciences (9891.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 DR Maya GUNAWARDENA (Ph: +61 2 62015174 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (200972) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194454) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186815) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (183346) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174092) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165632) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149434) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces Pre-Service Primary Teachers to the theoretical and practical base for teaching the learning area known as the Humanities and Social Sciences. Pre-Service Primary Teachers will explore the historical and contemporary nature of the learning area through central concepts that provide a unique way in which to view and interrogate the world. The unit will provide Pre-Service Primary Teachers with opportunities to analyse ways of structuring and resourcing learning experiences in order to progress each child's social and environmental learning. It will assist Pre-Service Primary Teachers to reflect on their own perceptions and experiences of the learning area and to constantly question the basis of their judgements as they become familiar with their responsibility to provide their future students with opportunities to become active and informed citizens.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critically interrogate curriculum documents and research studies to identify and interpret Humanities and Social Sciences concepts of disciplinary thinking and discipline-specific inquiry dispositions;
2. Employ knowledge of local/global issues to design quality Humanities and Social Sciences learning experiences for primary children that encourage active and informed citizenship; and
3. Locate, appraise and select a range of sources (primary, secondary, digital) to remix and/or create resources that support the design of quality learning experiences in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
Semester 1, 2019
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2018
3 hours per week.
Must have passed 24 credit points.
First two years of Bachelor of Education.
- 326JA Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- 325JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Graduate Entry)
- 324JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 322JA Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM)