The Practice (PCK) of Teaching Science (9889.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 MRS Lucy BENNETT (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (200872) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193513) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186818) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182649) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165630) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149394) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Students will build on their existing science knowledge and develop a broader range of skills in the teaching of science to young children. Students will: explore a range of science concepts; recognise the importance of science specific pedagogy; and, identify opportunities for creative integration of science learning activities when programming. A range of innovative science teaching approaches will be actioned and reflection on these experiences will allow development of personal pedagogic frameworks.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Review the theoretical underpinnings of effective science teaching;
2. Identify the value of careful planning with respect to science teaching;
3. Recognise that design of science learning activities as part of an integrated program of teaching adds an exciting and fruitful dimension to the teaching of young children;
4. Use a wide range of resources, including ICT resources, they have available to them for the teaching of science; and
5. Demonstrate great confidence in the level of content knowledge they carry into future science teaching.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
3 hours per week and 5 days Professional Clinic within schools.
Must have passed 36 credit points.
- 326JA Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- 325JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Graduate Entry)
- 324JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 322JA Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM)