The Practice (PCK) of Teaching Science (9889.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Amanda EDWARDS (Ph: +61 2 62012446 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193513) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186818) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182649) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165630) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149394) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Students will build on their existing science knowledge and develop a broader range of skills in the teaching of science to young children. Students will: explore a range of science concepts; recognise the importance of science specific pedagogy; and, identify opportunities for creative integration of science learning activities when programming. A range of innovative science teaching approaches will be actioned and reflection on these experiences will allow development of personal pedagogic frameworks.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Review the theoretical underpinnings of effective science teaching;
2. Identify the value of careful planning with respect to science teaching;
3. Recognise that design of science learning activities as part of an integrated program of teaching adds an exciting and fruitful dimension to the teaching of young children;
4. Use a wide range of resources, including ICT resources, they have available to them for the teaching of science; and
5. Demonstrate great confidence in the level of content knowledge they carry into future science teaching.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
3 hours per week and 5 days Professional Clinic within schools.
Must have passed 36 credit points.
- 326JA Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- 325JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Graduate Entry)
- 324JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 322JA Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM)