The Practice (PCK) of Teaching Mathematics (9888.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MS Tracy LOGAN (Ph: +61 2 62068973 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 MS Tracy LOGAN (Ph: +61 2 62068973 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195893) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186927) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182651) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166221) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (155905) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit looks at helping children learn mathematics with understanding. The theoretical underpinnings of this unit are; Mathematical Pedagogical Content Knowledge Representational Theory (modes of representation); The structure of the Australian National mathematics curriculum; Planning for effective mathematics lessons; Appropriate content: knowing your students: individual differences including cultural differences and learning styles; use of ICT and effective use of resources. Each of these themes will be important throughout the remainder of this unit; The importance of the Language of Mathematics and The Proficiency Strands; Developing Number Sense; Rational Number; Developing Measurement Sense; Developing Geometric Reasoning; Developing understanding of Statistics and Probability; and Assessment and Evaluation.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of how the theoretical underpinnings of mathematics teaching and learning inform classroom practice;
2. Demonstrate familiarity with the purpose, structure and implementation of the Australian Mathematics Curriculum;
3. Select and apply appropriate pedagogical practice to help children make sense of mathematics; and
4. Design, deliver and assess a series of mathematical learning experiences for students.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2020
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 2, 2020
3 hours per week. The content and delivery of this unit will be supported with additional on-line resources.
Students must have passed 24 credit points including 9864 Core Mathematics.
First two years of Education degree.
- 326JA Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- 325JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Graduate Entry)
- 324JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 322JA Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM)