The Practice (PCK) of Teaching Mathematics (9888.2)
|Level:||Undergraduate Third Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 MS Tracy LOGAN (Ph: +61 2 62068973 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 MS Tracy LOGAN (Ph: +61 2 62068973 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186927) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182651) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166221) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (155905) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit looks at helping children learn mathematics with understanding. The theoretical underpinnings of this unit are; Mathematical Pedagogical Content Knowledge Representational Theory (modes of representation); The structure of the Australian National mathematics curriculum; Planning for effective mathematics lessons; Appropriate content: knowing your students: individual differences including cultural differences and learning styles; use of ICT and effective use of resources. Each of these themes will be important throughout the remainder of this unit; The importance of the Language of Mathematics and The Proficiency Strands; Developing Number Sense; Rational Number; Developing Measurement Sense; Developing Geometric Reasoning; Developing understanding of Statistics and Probability; and Assessment and Evaluation.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of how the theoretical underpinnings of mathematics teaching and learning inform classroom practice;
2. Demonstrate familiarity with the purpose, structure and implementation of the Australian Mathematics Curriculum;
3. Select and apply appropriate pedagogical practice to help children make sense of mathematics; and
4. Design, deliver and assess a series of mathematical learning experiences for students.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
3 hours per week. The content and delivery of this unit will be supported with additional on-line resources.
Students must have passed 24 credit points including 9864 Core Mathematics.
First two years of Education degree.
- 326JA Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- 325JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Graduate Entry)
- 324JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 322JA Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM)