Designing Learning for Diversity and Inclusion (9869.2)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 DR Zinnia MEVAWALLA (Ph: +61 2 62063868 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195900) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186934) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182683) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166001) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (148781) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
During this unit students will explore the social and political underpinnings of inclusion through exploring who we mean when we refer to diverse students and what their learning needs are. Students will explore cultural identity and appropriate language use when working with diverse students. Research statistics on diversity and challenges associated with diversity and inclusion in different educational contexts will be explored. International and national policies and practices, including, the Australian Language Policy, the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA), Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and Reconciliation Australia Programmes will be drawn upon to support teachers in being change agents for inclusive practices for diverse students.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify characteristics of learners in diverse educational settings and demonstrate how to cater for their learning needs;
2. Compare models and frameworks for designing learning and teaching; and
3. Identify and analyse appropriate technology to incorporate learning for diversity.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
1 hour lecture + 2 hour workshop (and 9.5 hours per week for readings and online work).
Must have passed 24 credit points.
- 326JA Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- 325JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Graduate Entry)
- 324JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 322JA Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM)
- 331JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Graduate Entry)
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 329JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Mathematics and Computing Technology Studies
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science