Arts Education Integration (9858.1)
|Level:||Level 4 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 DR Rohan NETHSINGHE (Ph: +61 2 62015892 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (200861) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193330) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186791) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (176963) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
9858 Arts Education Integration will expose students to arts education programs offered by arts institutions and out-of-school arts programs. These programs are an important resource for classroom teachers, and can be utilised in different ways to augment and enhance a classroom program based on the Australian Arts Curriculum. Students will elect either the same arts discipline as they chose in 9859 Arts Education Internship or an alternate arts discipline. Students will then be placed with the education program of an appropriate arts institution or out-of-school arts program. In this unit students will explore effective ways of integrating educational programs offered by arts institutions and out-of-school arts programs into a primary classroom and school-wide arts curriculum. Students will engage with technological and conceptual learning from the perspective of the chosen arts discipline as a human endeavour via understanding the place of the environment, Indigeneity, gender, information management, and design systems.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a highly developed capacity to use the terminology correctly and demonstrate skills in their chosen arts disciplines as outlined in the Australian Arts curriculum (Foundation to 6);
2. Enhance their pedagogical approach, using external providers, to teach their chosen arts discipline and understand the implications of this approach for childrens' learning;
3. Deepening their understanding of the nature of the arts and its relationship to everyday life and its social contexts;
4. Recognise the significance of arts education as part of a whole school inclusive curriculum;
5. Develop an appreciation of the contemporary issues in arts education;
6. Enrich their understanding of the role of arts institutions play in the teaching and learning of the Arts; and
7. Heighten their confidence in their knowledge skills and pedagogy and increased interest in teaching their chosen arts discipline to primary school students.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
4 workshop days (9:00-3:00) across the semester, 6 hours of online contact in Week 1-6, 2 hours of interviews/research visits.
9885 The Practice (PCK) of Teaching the Arts AND
9866 Creative Arts Specialist AND
9865 Creative Arts Principles
Enrolment in the Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts).
Work Integrated Learning