Cross-Cultural Professional Practice (9855.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Summer Semester DR Naroa ETXEBARRIA (Ph: +61 2 62012163 ) FLEXIBLE 2020 Semester 1 DR Naroa ETXEBARRIA (Ph: +61 2 62012163 ) FLEXIBLE 2020 Winter Term DR Ro MCFARLANE (Ph: +61 2 62063801 ) FLEXIBLE 2020 Semester 2 DR Ro MCFARLANE (Ph: +61 2 62063801 ) FLEXIBLE 2021 Summer Semester DR Ro MCFARLANE (Ph: +61 2 62063801 ) FLEXIBLE 2021 Semester 1 DR Ro MCFARLANE (Ph: +61 2 62063801 ) FLEXIBLE 2021 Winter Term DR Ro MCFARLANE (Ph: +61 2 62063801 ) FLEXIBLE 2021 Semester 2 DR Ro MCFARLANE (Ph: +61 2 62063801 ) FLEXIBLE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (193291) - View
- Summer Semester, 2019/20, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (187988) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (188464) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (189635) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (189081) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180259) - View
- Winter Term, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180636) - View
- Summer Semester, 2017/18, INTERNPLCE, BRUCE (180684) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (174059) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164499) - View
- Summer Semester, 2016/17, INTERNPLCE, BRUCE (163459) - View
- Winter Term, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (152598) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (149728) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will be offered as an elective available to all courses offered by Faculty of Health. It will complement the development of professional graduates by providing students with a deeper understanding of their respective industry in a cross-cultural situation. This situated learning enables students to participate in the social and professional community where personal and professional knowledge, confidence and competence can be enhanced.
Students will be assigned to a relevant academic mentor/supervisor for the duration of the unit. They will be challenged to make comparisons between the understanding and practices in different cultural settings. They will further develop their graduate skill base through cultural immersion and engagement and will be asked to critically reflect on key discipline-related theoretical and practical concepts and their application in the cross-cultural domain.
On the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Participate in a cross-cultural professional setting and apply previously gained skills and knowledge;
2. Critically analyse and articulate the contextual influences that inform both similarities and differences between cultural settings;
3. Demonstrate enhanced cultural intelligence through engagement with diverse professionals and peers; and
4. Demonstrate ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with people whose attitudes, values, knowledge and skills may be significantly different from their own.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Summer Semester, 2019/20
- Semester 2, 2019
- Winter Term, 2019
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Winter Term, 2018
- Summer Semester, 2017/18
- Semester 2, 2017
- Winter Term, 2017
- Summer Semester, 2016/17
- Winter Term, 2016
- Semester 2, 2015
Unit materials will be available online and contact sessions will be negotiated with students depending on circumstance. There is an expectation that through a combination of practical engagement and completion of assessment items students will be required to complete a minimum of 150 hours of unit-related work.
Must have passed 48 credit points and permission of the Unit Convener.
Must be in a Faculty-led program.