Contemporary Culture and Creative Practice (9760.3)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 Mrs Michelle CARTER (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (194440) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, TQEC-NAM (191425) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (191427) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, TQEC-NAM (176477) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (176479) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, TQN-TOWNSV (172359) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, TQEC-NAM (172358) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (165386) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (147145) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (147768) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores and navigates contemporary Post-modern culture. It outlines the major social and cultural trends within the Post-Modern era and involves the application of semiotic theory to analyse contemporary culture and artworks.
Students will be able to make informed comment on key artists and conceptual approaches within contemporary practices. They will be able to hypothesize on social, cultural and sub-cultural trends within contemporary visual culture.
A sound understanding of this unit will allow the student to culturally situate themselves and their practice within our larger global culture.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply semiotic theory and analyse contemporary culture and artwork;
2. Comment on key artists and conceptual approaches within contemporary practices;
3. Outline the major social and cultural trends within the Post-Modern era;
4. Hypothesize on social, cultural and sub-cultural trends within contemporary visual culture; and
5. Employ communication skills in an academic and/or creative context.
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- UC - TAFE Queensland, Nambour
3 hours per week