Contemporary Musicianship: Harmonic Analysis (9737.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 Mr Michal ROSIAK (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, TQG-CO (191382) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (191381) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, TQG-CO (176272) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (176271) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (165371) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (156392) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit aims to develop the students appreciation, aural recognition, implementation and understanding of Western tonal harmony, while exploring harmonic systems of other cultures also. It focuses on the analytical study and practical implementation of harmony in musical contexts. It also promotes harmonys influence on music technology, instrumental design, tuning systems and even human evolution, introducing a holistic concept of harmony, and expanding the students likely schoolroom understanding of harmony to encapsulate music plus sound, as well as its acoustical nature. The unit builds upon theory delivered in previous musicianship units introducing students to conventional harmonic analysis techniques and prefacing Contemporary Musicianship: Arranging and Orchestrations focus on orchestration techniques. The unit is designed to complement Composition: Synthesis and Sampling and Contemporary Performance: Technology on Stage, being experimental in nature and technology-focused.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify, deconstruct and apply tonal functional harmony to tonal melodies;
2. Identify common chord progressions by ear;
3. Construct harmonic sequences using common harmonic variation techniques; and
4. Apply written communication skills in academic contexts.
- UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
- UC - TAFE Queensland, Coomera
4 hours per week.