Social Research Design PG (9684.3)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Jee Young LEE (Ph: +61 2 62015641 ) FLEXIBLE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (194259) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (191103) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (176318) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164744) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, ONLINE, BRUCE (164883) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (169647) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (162511) - View
- Winter Term, 2016, ONLINE, BRUCE (162893) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (154443) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (147537) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit develops deep knowledge in conducting social research. The focus is on critical examinations of the underlying assumptions of theory and the relationship to methodology. Students develop a deep understanding of and ability to apply the main social research approaches and methodologies.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the main characteristics of quantitative, qualitative and mixed-model methods of social research;
2. Critically interrogate key research studies in social scientific research;
3. Critically analyse published social journals, government publications and professional practice;
4. Appreciate the social, cultural and political contexts of social research in professional practice;
5. Apply appropriate theories and methodologies to identify communication problem-solving processes, and implement and evaluate research based social scientific methodologies; and
6. Develop a high-level awareness of the constraints on ethical professional practice in the area of research.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
6 hours per week.
Admission to the Master of Applied Arts and Design (Research) or permission of the unit convener.
7574 Advanced Communication Theory and Research PG.
7574 Advanced Communication Theory and Research PG AND 9111 Social Research PG.