Becoming a Professional (9572.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
The unit will consist of three sequential modules:
Thinking like a professional;
Progression through the unit is flexible, and can be completed in as little as two months and as long as twelve. All modules may be completed online, and some may be taken in intensive face-to-face mode.
Content will consist of both generic and discipline-specific material. There will be profession- and discipline-specific streams of the three modules which make up the unit; students will complete the module that best meets their professional ambitions (e.g. Thinking like a Professional Educator; Thinking like a Healthcare professional; Professional Communication in Science; Professional Communication in Law).
By the end of the unit, students will be able to:
1. Map out their academic and professional trajectories over the next five years;
2. Identify the key discipline-specific and generic skills, attitudes and abilities they will need in their academic and professional lives over the next five years;
3. Master communication modes appropriate to their discipline and professional destination (written communication, presentation skills, negotiation skills, listening skills, video/audio and multimedia presentation, scientific discourse, mathematical and statistical communication, communication through social media, and others)
4. Employ effective communication in specific academic assessment tasks (essays, presentations, scientific reports, and others);
5. Understand how cultural, social and professional boundaries, identities and expectations shape and influence communication, and how to work with, not against, these factors in communicating effectively;
6. Work effectively in teams to achieve academic and real-world/professional goals;
7. Understand the relationship between diversity, divergence and innovation in effective and innovative teamwork.
150 total hours delivered flexibility over a variety of delivery modes.