Negotiations and Conflict Management (9535.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 3|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||School of Management|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will start with the conceptual framework of negotiations as it applies to all areas of negotiation in both the public and private sectors. As the unit progresses, students will focus on business negotiation skills and strategies designed to help maintain healthy business relationships.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and explain the theory, processes, and practices of negotiation, conflict resolution, and relationship management;
2. Identify and explain the principles, strategies, and tactics of effective negotiation and professional relationship management;
3. Develop reliable planning techniques;
4. Identify and describe negotiation theories, concepts and tactics to manage negotiations as well as professional relationships;
5. Assess the importance of various factors that impact negotiations, including specific issues in question, different stakeholder positions, interests, relationships, and group dynamics;
6. Develop and execute effective negotiation strategies and tactics for different scenarios;
7. Diagnose negotiation problems;
8. Describe new negotiation ideas and practices;
9. Explain how culture impacts negotiations; and
10. Identify characteristics of culture or national identity that negotiators should become familiar with prior to engaging in cross-cultural or international negotiations.
UCI - Lingnan Institute for Further Education, Hong Kong
UC Term 4, 2016
On-Campus Attendance is expected in Set Time Blocks (INTENSIVE)
- Assignment 1 - 2,500 words + or - 10% Theoretical essay: Critically Discuss (Compare) Two of the following Negotiation Theories Structural approach Strategic approach Behavioural approach Processual approach Integrative approach (40% )
- Assessment 2: Weekly PostingOU wiki Edit Assessment 2: Weekly Posting Instructions Each week for weeks 2, 4, 6, & 8 each student is required to research, review and reflect on (20% )
- Assessment 3 Critical, reflective learning journal covering the following topics Assessment 3 - 40% Weighting Critical, reflective learning journal covering the following topics. Assignment 3 Length - 3,000 (+/- 200) words, covering the topics of : Introduction Workplace Diversity & Culture Conflict and negotiation assessment & evaluation Stakeholders and strategies Relationship Building, Trust and Psychological contracts Communication in negotiation and conflict resolution Conflict resolution and management Bias and ethics in negotiating and conflict Weeks 2, 4, 6, & 8 Assessment 2 Wiki summaries. Weeks 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11 reading (100 word reviews – each week) to be posted in the reading blog drop box on moodle and in the learning journal. Glossary of terms Summary and conclusions Introduction, Conclusion and References Minimum 2,500 words maximum 5,000 words (40% )
- On-Campus Attendance is expected in Set Time Blocks (INTENSIVE)
UC Term 1, 2016
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- UC Term 4, 2016
150 learning hours in online self-paced mode.