Surface, Colour and Completeness (9480.3)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (178371) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164737) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (162394) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139658) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit develops student understanding of the roles and properties of surfaces and coatings, and the ethical and interpretive issues raised by restoration and reconstruction. Practical projects and exercises will be used to demonstrate methods of examining and treating surfaces and to discuss issues of authenticity and financial and cultural 'cost-benefit' equations. Students completing this unit will be able to identify and implement conservation treatments for surfaces, and develop a solution for a complex heritage restoration issue.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Observe, assess and record the behaviour and properties of surfaces and coatings found on historic materials artefacts and structures, using a range of technical equipment in the laboratory;
2. Demonstrate methods of examining and treating surfaces and discuss issues of authenticity and financial and cultural 'cost-benefit' equations; and
3. Demonstrate through practical exercises and work on cultural heritage materials an understanding of the techniques involved in the identification and implementation of conservation treatments for surfaces.
3 hours per week.
8950 Surface Colour and Completeness;
8495 Practicum 4: Conservation Practical;
8496 Practicum 5: Conservation Practical.
8950 Surface Colour and Completeness; 8495 Practicum 4: Conservation Practical; 8496 Practicum 5: Conservation Practical.