Sport Governance and Policy (9368.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (189210) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (179965) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164093) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (154732) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (146030) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is designed to encourage the understanding and ability to critically analyse the principles of governance in sport along with the creation and implementation of policy. Areas of discussion will include how sporting organisations set and achieve their objectives; the rules and procedures for making organisational decisions; the means of optimising and monitoring performance; along with overall strategic organisational planning and policy development.
On completion of this unit, students should be able to;
1. Understand, identify and contextualise the principles of governance and how an organisation develops strategic goals as part of a robust system of governance that fits the particular circumstances of the applicable sport;
2. Identify the broad conceptual principles of governance and policy development and how those principles might be applied on an operational level;
3. Critically evaluate the mechanisms and benchmarks an organisation and its board can utilise as part of its organisational structure to ensure best practice;
4. Demonstrate a critical understanding of policy development, implementation and methods for monitoring and assessing policy effectiveness; and
5. Identify the steps involved in policy development for sporting organisations including how the board of an organisation complies with its legal and regulatory obligations and ultimately ensures that it is acting in the best interests of the organisation members.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
- Semester 1, 2017
- Semester 1, 2016
- Semester 1, 2015
3 hours per week.
9372 Sport Management & Development
7983 Contemporary Issues in Sport
7979 Governance and Sport
7979 Governance and Sport.
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 282JA Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management/Bachelor of Sports Management
- HLMG01 Bachelor of Health Science (Human Movement)/ Bachelor of Sports Management
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 155JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Sports Management
- 278JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Sports Management
- 688HG Bachelor of Sports Management
- 688AA Bachelor of Sports Management
- MGMG01 Bachelor of Sports Management/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 898AA Bachelor of Tourism Management / Bachelor of Sports Management