Promoting Physiological Birth PG (9284.2)
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Midwifery|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180326) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Increasing rates of caesarean section and other interventions in childbirth mean that we need to focus now more than ever on ways of promoting physiological birth. Maternity care is complex, involving a range of health care providers. This unit will explore the ways of promoting physiological birth.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe the physiology of childbirth;
2. Critically explore the implications of global, national and local trends in childbirth (modes/management/intervention);
3. Draw on and critically evaluate current literature to identify factors associated with the promotion of physiological childbirth;
4. Discuss the importance of birth environment in the promotion of physiological birth;
5. Identify and critically evaluate strategies for the promotion of physiological childbirth at the local level.