Prescribing in Midwifery PG (9283.2)
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Midwifery|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2016, ONLINE, BRUCE (156039) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit builds on 'Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics for Midwives'; applying this knowledge to the practice of prescribing. The unit will address the midwifery formulary, clinical considerations, legislation, rules and policies relevant to prescribing and administration of medications, professional accountability and safety and quality in prescribing.
On successful completion of the unit the student will be able to:
1. Describe the legal and professional frameworks that guide midwifery prescribing in Australia including professional relationships and referral pathways;
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the medicines within the midwifery formulary;
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the treatment continuum and how this applies to midwifery prescribing;
4. Demonstrate the ability to use relevant information (based on assessment, history, diagnostic investigations) to prescribe appropriately;
5. Demonstrate the capacity to practice within a medication safety framework; and
6. Demonstrate the ability to source, critically evaluate and incorporate where appropriate, relevant research and other information regarding medicines.
9282 Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics for Midwives PG