Privacy, Confidentiality and Access Law (9275.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2016, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (152350) - View
- Winter Term, 2015, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (141069) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Unit sequentially progresses legal skills in addressing several themes:
critiques of privacy, confidentiality and national security law (including human rights and commercial information sharing);
integration of theory, law and practice in development, application and appraisal of measures that strengthen or erode personal privacy, law enforcement, network security and the protection of commercially sensitive information;
drivers of policy development and legal change (eg the impact of incidents such as the Telstra data breach and Spycatcher trial, initiatives such as WikiLeaks and frameworks such as the EU Data Protection Directives);
awareness of legal frameworks that includes state enactments, common law and industry codes;
the interrelationship of privacy and access principles/practice with other UC Law units.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. demonstrate an understanding of basic principles of Australian privacy, confidentiality, access and data protection law;
2. demonstrate an awareness of key statutes and case law, and of the main regulatory bodies at the national and state/territory levels;
3. demonstrate an understanding of development of that law in response to international obligations and domestic technological change and those key issues of policy that underlie the law;
4. demonstrate an understanding of the relevance and application of international agreements, standards and practice;
5. demonstrate an understanding of practice in this field, including employment undertakings, online consumer agreements, application for suppression orders and use of access statutes such as the Freedom of Information Act 1988 (Cth).
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Winter Term, 2016
- Winter Term, 2015
35 hours intensive delivery.
6601 Legal Methods and Skills AND
6602 Legal Systems
Understanding of the Australian legal and criminal justice system; familiarity with legal research and analysis resources and practices.
- 995AA Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication / Bachelor of Laws
- 944AA Bachelor of Applied Economics/Bachelor of Laws
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 238JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy/Bachelor of Laws
- 239JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 808AA Bachelor of Business Informatics/Bachelor of Laws
- 810AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws
- 127JA Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 225JA Bachelor of Communication in Advertising/Bachelor of Laws
- 226JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism/Bachelor of Laws
- 227JA Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs/Bachelor of Laws
- 228JA Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 240JA Bachelor of Human Resource Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 794AA Bachelor of Laws
- 829AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 149JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 997AA Bachelor of Public Relations / Bachelor of Laws
- 833AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 241JA Bachelor of Social Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws