Education Research Perspectives PG (9087.3)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Deborah PINO PASTERNAK (Ph: +61 2 62012808 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 DR Deborah PINO PASTERNAK (Ph: +61 2 62012808 ) INTENSIVE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193664) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (198389) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186959) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (186854) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182597) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182596) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166298) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165785) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (151506) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (154222) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (140001) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (148129) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit provides a critical overview of research perspectives and practices in the social sciences and humanities, with particular reference to education and communication, and to such generic practices as reading and critiquing research reports, communicating the results of research, and conducting ethical research. Various perspectives on research will be considered, including empiricist, interpretive, critical and poststructuralist methodologies. Students will also be introduced to a variety of research practices, such as survey research, case study, discourse analysis and ethnography.
In the delivery of this unit opportunities will include on-campus and off-campus options.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critically appraise reports of inquiry in education and communication;
2. Demonstrate understanding of the interdependence of theories of knowledge, research methodologies and research techniques;
3. Demonstrate understanding of the methodological options available to researchers in education, communication and related fields;
4. Formulate research questions relevant to their topic area within different methodological frameworks; and
5. Articulate their own position as a researcher within the range of methodologies.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2020
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- On-Campus Attendance is expected in Set Time Blocks (INTENSIVE)
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 1, 2018
- Semester 1, 2020
2 hours week (average) or equivalent.
Restrictions: This unit is not open to students who have passed 8099 Introduction to Research PG