|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Communication and Media|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (176555) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (165330) - View
- UC Term 4, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, LIFE (161810) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (154707) - View
- UC Term 4, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, LIFE (146888) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (145522) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The newsroom is the engine of news production. The rhythm of newsroom practice puts pressure on journalists, producers and editors to meet deadlines without sacrificing the ideals of high quality journalism. Drawing on skills introduced and developed in first and second years, this unit helps students develop skills for managing themselves and their colleagues in this pressure-filled environment. Students will be able to demonstrate grace under pressure by producing high quality works of journalism and further develop necessary workplace-oriented team skills. Changes to the journalism industry means that journalism graduates are now expected to have some editorial management skill. Central to these changes is the place of online news publication in the contemporary media ecology.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. demonstrate an appreciation of the shifting demands placed on journalists, producers and editors working in a newsroom environment;
2. manage their own time and the time of colleagues while working under deadline pressures;
3. demonstrate familiarity with using a content management system (CMS) and the editorial procedures required for online news publication;
4. demonstrate skills expected of cross-platform content producers and managers of news-based online media enterprises;
5. demonstrate an understanding of the place of online news publication in the contemporary media ecology.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2018
- Semester 1, 2017
- UCI - Lingnan Institute for Further Education, Hong Kong
36 hours for the semester
Restrictions: This unit is not open to students who have passed 8463 Online News 1.
8463 Online News 1
- 429AB Bachelor of Arts
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 991AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Journalism
- 222JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 369JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Journalism
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 229JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 232JA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 212JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 226JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism/Bachelor of Laws
- 320JA Bachelor of Journalism
- 982AA Bachelor of Journalism
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 101JA Bachelor of Management / Bachelor of Journalism
- 236JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- 242JA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 689AA Bachelor of Sports Media
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws