Introduction to Communication (9023.3)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Communication and Media|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (177707) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (176504) - View
- UC College Trimester 3, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (166563) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164892) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165329) - View
- UC College Trimester 3, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (162965) - View
- Winter Term, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (162967) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154208) - View
- Winter Term, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (141075) - View
- UC College Trimester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (142487) - View
- UC College Trimester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (142501) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145960) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The fields of advertising, journalism, media, public affairs and public relations are some of the most exciting and influential industries in the world. This unit provides a broad introduction to the communication industries by considering the role and importance of communication in professional practice and citizenship. Communication as an idea, a tool and a process is defined, explored and interrogated. The many forms of communication - written, spoken, visual - are investigated via a range of genres and media platforms. We examine theories that see communication as a tool of expression and of power. Finally, we consider the place of those for whom communication is designed - audiences and users. Students should complete this unit with a basic understanding of key issues in communication, within the context of industry and society.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. demonstrate a basic understanding of the role and importance of communication in society;
2. demonstrate elementary knowledge of the key communication professions, and the correlations and contrasts between these professions;
3. demonstrate elementary knowledge of the key forms of communication and media platforms;
4. demonstrate an awareness of those audiences/users for which communication is designed;
5. demonstrate a general sense of how communication theory relates to the practice of communication.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Winter Term, 2018
- Semester 1, 2018
- Winter Term, 2017
- Semester 1, 2017
- Winter Term, 2016
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
- UC College Trimester 3, 2017
- UC College Trimester 3, 2016
2 hours per week.