Neurological Interventions 1 (8982.1)
|Level:||Undergraduate Fourth Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Physiotherapy|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Physio Non Standard Period 1 DR Elisabeth PRESTON (Ph: +61 2 62015749 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Physio Non Standard Period 1 DR Elisabeth PRESTON (Ph: +61 2 62015749 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Physio Non Standard Period 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191780) - View
- UC Trimester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180882) - View
- Flexible and Self Paced Period 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164596) - View
- Flexible and Self Paced Period 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (155908) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit covers the theoretical and practical assessment of normal and abnormal functional movement including gait, posture, bed transfers and upper limb function in the context of brain injury. The roles of cognitive, sensory and environmental factors will be explored. Motor control theory will be applied to movement and rehabilitation. Various approaches to neurological rehabilitation will be compared. Physiotherapy management of impairments associated with common neurological conditions will be introduced
This unit is co-taught with unit 6452 Neurological Interventions 1 PG.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand the development of normal movement across the ages;
2. Assess and document abnormal movement and sensory changes in the adult client;
3. Plan and conduct an appropriate assessment with outcome measures for a neurologically impaired client;
4. Develop and implement a treatment plan for a less complex neurological deficit; and
5. Understand neural recovery mechanisms and motor control theory to enhance learning outcomes.
These competencies will be demonstrated and integrated into clinical physiotherapy practice.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Physio Non Standard Period 1, 2019
- UC Trimester 1, 2018
- Flexible and Self Paced Period 2, 2017
- Flexible and Self Paced Period 2, 2016
Up to three hours lecture/tutorial; up to five hours per week practical work.
8977 Musculoskeletal Interventions 1 and
8978 Neuromuscular Interventions and
8373 Advanced Physiology and
8976 Cardiothoracic Interventions 1
Enrolment in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy 202JA