Preventative Conservation (8949.2)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Humanities|
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/07/2012 End Date: 31/12/2012
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2013 End Date: 31/12/2014
This unit will introduce students to the preservation of heritage through a risk management perspective. The identification and mitigation of risk factors such as pests, environmental damage, human actions and natural disasters will be explored in the context of impacts on physical condition, significance and resource allocation. Students completing this unit will be able to identify risk factors and develop a preventive risk mitigation strategy for cultural heritage materials.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. use a risk management model to identify, assess and record factors such as pests, environmental damage, human actions and natural disasters;
2. develop and produce preventive risk mitigation strategy for cultural heritage materials;
3. demonstrate through practical exercises the use of recording equipment and strategies for quantifying risk factors.
3 hours per week
6526 Heritage Preservation