Social Research Methods H (8901.4)
|Level:||Undergraduate Honours Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Jee Young LEE (Ph: +61 2 62015641 ) FLEXIBLE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (194212) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (191066) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (176493) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (165315) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (154215) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (145963) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is intended to complement students' Honours dissertation research. It is intended for students who are undertaking a research project in a social research discipline. Students will critically examine key social research methodologies. They will also reflect on the ontological and epistemological assumptions of different approaches to social research, and the main ethical issues they raise. The overall purpose of the unit is to assist and provoke students to become more informed and reflective researchers and practitioners.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the main approaches to social research;
2. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the fundamental epistemological, methodological, and ethical issues involved in undertaking social research at the Honours level;
3. Reflect critically upon their own research practice, and place it within its broader theoretical context; and
4. Demonstrate skills in, and understanding of, the process of undertaking social research.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
Students must be enrolled in 298JA Bachelor of Arts and Design (Honours) OR 922AA Bachelor of Arts (Honours).
7640 Advanced Communication Theory and Research