Indigenous Education: What Works SEC (8823.3)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140924) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2012 End Date: 31/12/2012
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2018 End Date: 01/01/2018
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2013 End Date: 31/12/2017
The unit provides an overview of Australian education as it relates to Indigenous education and introduces students to issues associated with educational outcomes for Indigenous children and how teachers can address these in the school and classroom. It promotes culturally inclusive classroom practices that enable sensitive and positive interaction while providing historical perspectives that have impeded participation and engagement. Current programs sponsored nationally by the Commonwealth Department of Education, Science and Training are explored, as well as online curriculum content. Resources are evaluated and ways of integrating Aboriginal Studies and Torres Strait Islander Studies within the classroom are developed. Data collecting central to Indigenous education is investigated. Educational issues such as the expectation effect, and concepts of identity, recognition, culture and respect will all be studied.
1. apply Indigenous education perspectives to Western education practices;
2. consider the educational needs of Indigenous students;
3. extend their appreciation of Indigenous Australian cultures as a basis on which to develop their own teaching.
3 hours per week.
Completion of 24 credit points, unless enrolled in Bachelor of Teaching (Graduate Entry), 244JA OR Bachelor of Education in Secondary Teaching (Graduate Entry), 790AA.
Enrolment in a Teaching course.
This unit is not open to students who have passed 6577 Indigenous Education: What Works.