Neuromuscular Conditions PG (8758.1)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
This unit aims to introduce students to clinical assessment in the management of neuromuscular and neurological movement disorders. Students will learn to evaluate, quantify and interpret less complex motor and sensory impairments and activities of postural control and gait. Students will evaluate the role exercise plays in the management of these disease states.
1. understand the physiological mechanisms behind impairments of weakness, sensory loss, and stiffness;
2. demonstrate competence in assessment of impairments of stiffness (joint and muscle), weakness (primary and secondary), and peripheral sensory (proprioceptive, somatosensory, temperature);
3. demonstrate competence in the description of normal postural control and gait, and be able to describe dysfunctional movement;
4. begin to use clinical reasoning skills to interpret movement dysfunction in relation to the underlying impairments;
5. understand the role that exercise plays in management/prevention of these disorders.
4 hours per week
7786 Neuromuscular Interventions PG