Health Psychology and Behaviour (8736.2)
|Level:||Undergraduate Second Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Psychology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Petra BUERGELT (Ph: ) FLEXIBLE
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (188393) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180180) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164278) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (152017) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (140836) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to the theories, research and applications of health psychology. There will be a specific focus on understanding the causes, prevention, and management of health challenges and promotion of health behaviours. The unit emphasises the interactions between biological, psychological and socio-cultural factors and processes in influencing health and illness. Drawing upon latest theoretical perspectives and research, the unit will also explore critical advances in health psychology, and transformative and traditional healing approaches. This unit will be of value for students from a range of mental and physical health professions.
On completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Articulate the relationship between psychology, behaviour and health;
2. Trace the development of health and illness approaches;
3. Identify and critically discuss the biological, psychological, and social factors and processes influencing health and illness;
4. Apply the key theories and research approaches employed in health psychology; and
5. Design and evaluate health promotion strategies.
Up to four hours per week.
4309 Psychology 101 OR
4310 Psychology 102 OR
11399 Understanding People and Behavior OR
10444 Foundations of Psychology
9830 Psychology for Health Professionals