Health Psychology and Behaviour (8736.2)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Psychology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Phil KAVANAGH (Ph: +61 2 62015071 ) FLEXIBLE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (197418) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (188393) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180180) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164278) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (152017) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (140836) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to the theories, research and applications of health psychology. There will be a specific focus on understanding the causes, prevention, and management of health challenges and promotion of health behaviours. The unit emphasises the interactions between biological, psychological and socio-cultural factors and processes in influencing health and illness. Drawing upon latest theoretical perspectives and research, the unit will also explore critical advances in health psychology, and transformative and traditional healing approaches. This unit will be of value for students from a range of mental and physical health professions.
On completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Articulate the relationship between psychology, behaviour and health;
2. Trace the development of health and illness approaches;
3. Identify and critically discuss the biological, psychological, and social factors and processes influencing health and illness;
4. Apply the key theories and research approaches employed in health psychology; and
5. Design and evaluate health promotion strategies.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2020
- On-Campus Activities (Optional) and Online Content (FLEXIBLE)
- Semester 2, 2020
Up to four hours per week.
4309 Psychology 101 OR
4310 Psychology 102 OR
11399 Understanding People and Behavior OR
10444 Foundations of Psychology
9830 Psychology for Health Professionals
- BM0042 Breadth Major in Forensic and Legal Psychology
- BM0040 Breadth Major in Psychology: An Introduction
- BN0003 Breadth Minor in Applied Psychology
- MJ0235 Major in Applied Psychology
- MJ0294 Major in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- MN0179 Minor in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- SM0067 Specialist Major in Applied Health