Sports Nutrition (8721.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 DR Michelle MINEHAN (Ph: +61 2 62068746 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (200830) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198635) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (188348) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180124) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164222) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (151259) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (139542) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit covers fundamental sports nutrition. Students will critically evaluate the evidence base for current and emerging sports nutrition guidelines and practices. Students will assess dietary practices of elite and recreational athletes across the lifecycle. Emphasis will be on the practical application of sports nutrition guidelines.
This unit is co-taught with unit 8722 Sports Nutrition PG.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Interpret how the physiological response to exercise affects nutritional requirements;
2. Interpret data to assess body composition changes in elite athletes;
3. Evaluate dietary strategies to influence the health and performance of elite and recreational athletes;
4. Select and implement evidence-based dietary interventions to benefit the health and performance of elite and recreational athletes; and
5. Communicate sports nutrition advice accurately and effectively to non-specialist audiences.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 2, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
- Semester 2, 2015
Up to 4 hours per week.
9280 Introductory Nutrition
Human physiology and human nutrition.
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 317JA Bachelor of Health Science
- HLB102 Bachelor of Health Science (Nutrition Studies)
- 686AA Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 154JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 274JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science
- 276JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition