International Studies Field Research (8670.3)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Communication and Media|
This unit has two components. It begins with an introduction to social research, looking at its philosophical underpinnings, the distinction between qualitative and quantitative approaches, the nature of research design, research ethics, and the strengths and limitations of the main research methodologies. Having completed this component, students then design, implement, and write up an individual research project on a topic of their choice relevant to international studies.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply skills gained through core units in International Studies;
2. Demonstrate knowledge of the main qualitative and quantitative research methods used in International Studies, including a basic understanding of their underlying assumptions, strengths, and limitations;
3. Conduct an individual and original piece of research on a topic of their choice; and
4. Demonstrate analytical skills, be able to reflect critically upon their own research, and present their research in a professional manner.
Three hours (inclusive of intensive workshops and online activities).
All of the following units: Cultures and Diversity Globalisation and Resistance International History of the 20th Century Anarchy and Order in International Relations Global Ethical Challenges International Human Rights Introduction to International Studies Introduction to International Development
This unit is central to Bachelor of Arts in International Studies course and enrolled students are required to have completed year level one and two units of this course. It is expected that students would have advanced understanding of the concepts and theories of International Studies, and of Cultures and Diversity. This unit is only appropriate for third-year International Studies students, however special consideration may be given in exceptional circumstances, requiring prior approval from unit convener.
- 990AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 991AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Journalism
- 993AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 126JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies