Policy Report PG (8557.2)
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra School of Politics, Economics and Society|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
The central aim of this unit is to provide participants with skills in research design and report writing necessary to complete an independent Policy Report, which exhibits skills of data-gathering, analysis, evaluation, use of evidence, and problem-solving relevant to their professional field.
The purpose of the report is to review and integrate learning activities across the core units of the Master of Public Administration. This is achieved through the development of an independent piece of research in which a process of policy or organisational change is evaluated from both a practical and an academic perspective. This 8,000-10,000 word policy report is supported by regular group discussions with the unit convenor to discuss student progress. Depending on the size of the class, additional specialist supervisors may be appointed.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand the theoretical and methodological concerns of high quality research in public administration relevant to their professional field;
2. Engage in high quality independent and ethical research;
3. Collect, evaluate, interpret and present information and numerical data;
4. Select and use appropriate information and communication technology and to retrieve, manipulate and present information;
5. Identify problems and analyse the main features of problems relevant to their professional field
6. Apply appropriate problem solving processes, arguments, critical and creative thinking; and
7. Implement and evaluate strategies for the resolution of problems.
4 hours per week.
Completion of 24 credit points.
Enrolment in course Master of Public Administration.