Building and Construction Studies 1 (8518.5)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MR Hamed GOLIZADEH (Ph: +61 2 62012757 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 MR Hamed GOLIZADEH (Ph: +61 2 62012757 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (187926) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (178373) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (163025) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (169660) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154270) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145968) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit students will be introduced to the techniques and principals of residential construction including the technology, terminology and detailed design of typical buildings. They will explore site set out, the construction of footings, floor, wall and roof framing, cladding, windows and doors, finishes and joinery. They will also be introduced to the interpretation of architectural drawings by builders.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Review simple building plans to understand the interrelationship and function of components in residential buildings;
2. Describe traditional and alternate construction methods, terminology and details for residential buildings including building services;
3. Recognise the importance of the Building Code of Australia and relevant Australian Standards throughout the sequence of the residential build; and
4. Explain process and principles of site survey and set out.
On campus attendance is expected set time blocks equivalent to 3 hours per week (lecture plus tutorial or workshop).