Conservation Theory and Practice 2 (8490.2)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Arts & Humanities|
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2011 End Date: 31/12/2012
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2010 End Date: 31/12/2010
Students will work on live projects on materials from museums and heritage institutions. The practical work will be supported by a range of lectures and practical demonstrations highlighting specific artefacts, materials and techniques.
1) Demonstrate through practical exercises and work on cultural heritage materials an understanding of the techniques involved in the conservation of cultural heritage materials;
2) Examine and record in detail a wide range of historic materials and artefacts;
3) Make informed and justified choices for basic conservation process;
4) Understand the deterioration processes of historic materials; and
5) Demonstrate through exposition and simulated exercises an understanding of the ethical choices and underpinning professional practices involved in conservation.
Five hours per week.