Online News 1 (8463.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Journalism & Communication Studies|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2010 End Date: 31/12/2010
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2011 End Date: 31/12/2012
This unit introduces students to the world of sub-editors. It teaches basic copy sub-editing practices, including copy-editing and headline writing, and includes page layout principles and practice for both print and online publications. Students receive instruction in computer layout packages and comprise the production team for the course's online publication.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to: demonstrate editorial judgement; sub-edit stories for online news publication by dealing with search engine optimisation, sense and legal and ethical problems. On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. understand the processes of online news and basic multimedia news production, and demonstrate the capacity for online news editorial judgement;
2. be able to sub-edit news and feature stories in an online context for search engine optimisation, sense and legal and ethical problems;
3. understand and use a basic content management system (CMS).
Three hours per week.
Print Journalism 2 Restrictions: This unit is not open to students who have passed Online News 1 (6cp).