Sustainable Environmental Technology (8407.3)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Design & Architecture|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
This unit addresses the concepts, principles, processes and definitions of environmentally sustainable design and developments. An overview of the science of climate change is provided with analysis and discussion of mitigation strategies related to architectural and urban design. Environmental comfort in different climatic zones is investigated with specific reference to passive thermal design, the appropriate use of materials and responsible construction technologies. Habitat and cultural values related to urban and non-urban conditions are explored. The focus is on small to medium scale diverse architecture projects. Australian and International environmental assessment tools are introduced. Lectures are supported with case studies.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. demonstrate a substantial understanding of sustainable environmental design principles;
2. apply sustainable environmental principles to the design of small to medium scale buildings;
3. demonstrate a knowledge of environmental assessment tools for buildings and how to apply these during the design stage;
4. understand thermal comfort in the built environment, and passive thermal performance and design related to different climatic zones;
5. appreciate how different living habitats in time and place have responded to diverse environmental conditions;
6. draw on precedent and research to inform their design work.
Up to four hours per week.
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 119HG Bachelor of Interior Architecture
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies