Architecture Technology 1 (8397.4)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Design & Architecture|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (161187) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154842) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit addresses tectonics in small to medium scale architecture. The focus is on timber and steel and the relationship between the properties of these materials with the space, structure, cladding, building form and methods of construction. Students will examine different timber and steel structural systems, construction detailing and related services. Students explore the opportunities and complexities of the interrelationship between design and construction through the application of timber and steel structural systems to the design of small or medium scale buildings and building components. Principles investigated in the Technology Laboratory unit are expanded upon in this exploration.
1. On successful completion of this unit students will be able to: Identify small to medium scale building construction systems;
2. Describe the material characteristics and associated construction techniques and detailing of timber and steel;
3. Relate the history of timber and steel construction and infer its relevance to the present;
4. Explain the interrelationship between design, materials and construction of timber and steel structural systems;
5. Apply timber and steel structural systems to the design of small or medium scale buildings; and
6. Devise basic building components in timber and steel to solve small or medium scale building designs.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2016
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2016
3 hours per week.
8335 Technology Laboratory