Physiology of Exercise 2 (8392.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MS Kathleen MILES (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 DR Kate PUMPA (Ph: +61 2 62012936 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195840) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191437) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180154) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164245) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151980) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140790) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit builds upon the knowledge gained in Physiology of Exercise 1, focusing on the assessment, training and adaptations to endurance, strength power and intermittent based activities. Exercise in different environments (heat, altitude), and strategies to enhance elite sports performance including recovery and ergogenic aids is discussed. Occupational physiology and how fatigue influences sporting and occupational tasks is covered through research-led teaching. Topics will be covered with reference to both humans and animal research, with applied human sporting examples.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the physiological factors that influence adaptation to exercise training and sporting performance;
2. Use examples from a variety of different sports and in different populations to illustrate the role of physiological factors in exercise and sporting performance; and
3. Understand and be able to administer and apply the physiological testing procedures currently available to measure a range of physiological parameters relating to exercise and sport performance.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
Two 1 hour lectures and one 2 hour practical on campus per week.
8391 Physiology of Exercise 1
- 365AE Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Biology
- 264JA Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- 266JA Bachelor of Exercise Physiology and Rehabilitation
- 317JA Bachelor of Health Science
- HLB101 Bachelor of Health Science (Human Movement)
- HLHL01 Bachelor of Health Science (Human Movement)/ Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- HLMG01 Bachelor of Health Science (Human Movement)/ Bachelor of Sports Management
- 202JA Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- SCHL01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Health Science (Human Movement)
- 156JA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science
- 275JA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 153JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science
- 154JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 157JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 155JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Sports Management
- 274JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science
- 276JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 277JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 278JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Sports Management